Pages

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Carl Sagan and the Pale Blue Dot

Carl Sagan has always been one of my heroes. I still enjoy reading my dad's old illustrated copy of Cosmos. That book is actually one of the things I received when my dad died that I prize the most. In this video he refers to the Pale Blue Dot. He is referring to a picture taken by the Voyager I spacecraft in 1990, 13 years after it was sent into space, from 3.7 billion miles away. This photo was taken at the edge of our solar system, well outside the orbit of Pluto, and shows the earth as just a tiny blue dot caught in a ray of sunlight. I don't have the eloquent writing skills of Sagan so I will stop and let you watch this video. The audio is taken from the audiobook version of his book Pale Blue Dot: A Vision of the Human Future in Space, The voice is Sagan's

No comments:

Post a Comment