Pages

Monday, June 20, 2011

Facts

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." -John Adams

I have heard it said that you are entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts. I do not debate facts. I am happy to discuss facts. I am happy to show you the evidence for the facts. But I will never debate facts with anyone.

The following are facts

Joseph Smith did not always have the gold plates in the room when he was translating The Book of Mormon.

Smith practiced polygamy. Smith married at least 34 women, some as young as 14. Some of the women he married were married to other men.

Smith coerced one of these 14 year old girls to marry him by promising eternal life to her entire family if she would do it.

Smith's translations of all three facsimiles from the Book of Abraham completely contradict the interpretation of their meaning by Egyptologists.

There is no DNA evidence for any people of Jewish descent ever being in the America's at the time The Book of Mormon claims.

There is no archaeological evidence for The Book of Mormon.

Until 1978 the LDS church did not allow black men to hold the priesthood or black women to attend the temple. Many of the church leaders at the time said this was because blacks had the mark of Cain on them. Others said that blacks were being punished for being less valiant on the pre-existence. Brigham Young said that the penalty for intermixing of the races was death.

These are all facts. And there are many more interesting facts as it relates to Mormonism.

You can interpret the facts however you like. You can ignore facts you don't like. You even have the right to not believe facts. I cannot do that.

So,

I will not be called "Anti-Mormon" for stating facts.

I will not be told I am hateful for stating facts.

I will not be called a bigot for stating facts.

I will not shut up just because facts make you uncomfortable.

I will not apologize.

No comments:

Post a Comment