Pages

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

My mom taught me that it is better to tell the truth, even if it hurts.

I am a Mormon. I am an apostate Mormon but I am a Mormon nonetheless. Mormon history is my history. Nearly all of my ancestors at least four generations back are Mormon. It is not a conicidence that my last name is Harris and I am Mormon. I am a direct descendant of the brother of Martin Harris, Emer. He is mentioned by name in the D&C. He served as a scribe for Joseph Smith, Helped build both the Kirtland and Nauvoo temples, and practiced polygamy, a fact which I find fascinating. I wonder what went through his mind when he was told about polygamy. I wonder how he chose his wives. Were they chosen for him? Was he commanded by anybody to practice polygamy? Was it hard for him to accept the idea?

I am not unique. A high percentage of Mormons of all kinds, especially ones born in the United States and Canada, are descended from Mormons going back generations.

So you see, Mormon History is my history. It may be your history too. And I want to be able to know about my history. I want the church to tell the truth.

I am not saying they have to make an announcement about it. I am not saying they have to change doctrine or policy. They can quietly open their archives to scholars and historians and stop trying to hide the truth.

The Church has made some progress in this area. Their Joseph Smith papers project is a great step in the right direction.

But they need to do more. They need to give access to everything. Everybody knows about the vaults that The Church has and that they hold at least some items if historical significance. It is not known how extensive this collection is because The Church will not allow anyone access, or even give an inventory of the contents inside it.

They simply need to allow access to everything they own on Mormon history. Because the history belongs to Mormons, not The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

There is one thing else they need to do, and this might be the most important. The Church needs to stop excommunicating it's members who attempt to write open and honest history.

Is that too much to ask?

No comments:

Post a Comment