Pages

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

One Fact

It's been a while since I've written about religion. I thought I would give it another go.

I promise this one isn't too negative, just a call for understanding.

There is one simple fact that I wish everyone knew about me. This fact applies not only to me but to every person I know who has left the Mormon church.

The fact is this. I did not turn my back on any covenants or promises.  From my point of view the covenants were never real.

Now, before you stop reading. Again I promise I am not going to be negative.
But we do have to be honest about some things.
The simple fact is that if you are reading this and you are a believing Mormon then we have very different views on the world. I believe that your religion is just as false as all other religions. And you believe I am an apostate.

These facts do not bother me. I am happy to live and let live and embrace our commonalities instead of our differences. I have no desire to change your mind on the subject of religion. Although I have to be honest, it wouldn't ruin my day if you did.

At the same time I am perfectly accepting of the fact that you probably do desire to change mine. After all, if what you believe is true I can understand why you would feel that way, it's perfectly reasonable.

I am grateful to literally every single Mormon friend and family member I have for being amazingly tolerant and understanding of my loss of faith.  I haven't had a bad reaction yet, and I have had many great open and honest discussions.

So back to the one, simple, important fact. From my point of view the covenants were never real. I know from your point of view that sounds harsh. I know what that feels like to read something that conflicts with what you believe so deeply. I have been where you are.

I am not asking you to agree with my position. you don't even have to acknowledge that it's a reasonable position. But I would like for you to acknowledge that it is an honest position.

You see, sometimes I get the feeling that people look at it like us apostates made a conscious decision to go against something we knew was true. It isn't that at all, at least not for me or anyone else I have ever discussed this with.

I simply look at your religion, in a way my religion, as being the same as every other religion. In my studies I have made what I think is the most reasonable and rational decision about religion. I could be wrong. But so far I haven't seen anything to convince me that I am. That's as as much as any man can do.

So all I ask is for understanding. Understanding that even though you disagree with our conclusions, those of us who leave Mormonism, or even religion in general, are not doing so out of negative or immoral motivations. We are doing so out of the desire to be as honest and truthful as we can.

At least as far as I can tell.


No comments:

Post a Comment